Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Leaving Bali, The Philippines and Tokyo

I just realized this never posted! I wrote it when we first arrived in Tokyo, around March 2.

We arrived in Tokyo yesterday and I realized it's been a while since I updated. As our trip draws to a close we are moving around more and doing a lot more, so I may not get a chance to write very much till I get home.

Our last day in Ubud, Elesa and I went down to B.A.R.C. which is a dog rescue centre. We basically spend the day cuddling puppies, and it was awesome. This centre rescues abused animals, picks up abandoned dogs and puppies, vaccinates street dogs and will offer care do families who have dogs and cannot afford it. With packs of dogs wandering everywhere, it is an essential service and we were glad that we could help, even if only a little. Plus, who doesn't want to spend the day cuddling puppies?

The next day we headed to Kuta, and the next few days were not so awesome. Our first night was in a hotel that was a sweat box, and it was almost impossible to sleep. The last day Hitoshi and I did try surfing, for me the first time. That was pretty rad, I like it a lot better than snowboarding. It hurts less when you fall! And it's warm and in the sun. I managed to stand up a few tims, for about ten seconds once.

That night we switched hotels, but it sucked cause we had to say good bye to Elesa. Boo! We had to wake up at 3:45 am so I tried to get some sleep, but at about an hour before we had to get up I woke up and was violently sick. I think it was food poisoning. Whatever it was, I had to try to fly with it, which was one of the least fun things I've ever done.

We made it to Kuala Lumpur, and I survived. We only had one day there, and our first priority was sleep. We had a great nap, and I woke up feeling a lot better. We went and ate, and then went to a huge electronics centre near by. Prices were basically the same as Canada though, so it wasn't too exciting. After that we just passed out early, since it was back at the airport for 7 am.

The next day we flew to Manila, and along the way found out that Manila actually has TWO airports. We had a flight booked at 2 pm to fly to Dumaguete, south of Manila. Our plane was late, and when we landed we were a little panicked, we had less than three hours till our plane left. As we got outside this guy came up to us and when I told him we had to get to the other airport asap, he started freaking out and shoving us in a cab. He told us the only other option was a bus, and we'd never make it. He said the cab was $40, which seemed expensive, but we didn't want to miss our flight so we jumped in.


The guy drove like a maniac, and granted we never would have made it otherwise, but when we got there we learned the bill was actually $100 US! we were so shocked, but without much choice we paid it, and made it on our flight by the skin of our teeth.

We flew an our south to Dumaguete, in the Negros Oriental province of the Philippines. I have a Filippino friend who lives there, Ceasar (or Gigit, what he goes by in the Philippines), who I met in Toronto 8 years ago. He had told me that there was good snorkeling in Dumaguete, and we were sure to see turtles, so of course that is where we headed.

We spent four nights there, in the Hotel Nicanor. It was an awesome hotel, and only $25 a night. The Philippines was even cheaper than Bali, we ate breakfast one day for three people for under $2. Everyone gets around on 'trikes', which are motorbikes with a side car attached. You can hop in and go anywhere in town (it's a fairly small town), for 8 pesos, or $0.20 Canadian. There are also 'jeeps' which are like a cross between a truck and a bus, that you can take longer distances for about $0.45 Canadian.

We we snorkeling with Gigit one day at a marine park called Dauin, and it was beautiful. We bought a whole roast chicken and rice before we left, and ate it on the beach. Hitoshi caught a huge gecko, and a flying lizard landed on his shoulder. They must be his totem animal.

Another day Hioshi and I headed out to Apo island, a 40 minute boat ride away. They had great coral, and turtles! Hooray! It was Hitoshi's first time seeing turtles in the ocean and I was so glad to be there. We swam along it for a while, and then I got out cause there were jelly fish, but Hitoshi stayed longer and saw three more turtles.

On our last day there, and Hitoshi's birthday, Gigit met Hitoshi at the market and they bought 9 giant prawns and a lobster, and we took a jeep to Valencia, about 15 minutes away where Gigit lives. He brought out a charcole bbq and a cedar plank, and we proceeded to have the best meal I've ate yet. After that we said our goodbyes and headed back to the airport. Much thanks and gratitude to Gigit, for making the Philippines such an unforgetable time.

We spent on night in Manila near the airport. It was a night I'd rather forgot, since I lost or had my boots stolen at the airport. At $250, they were a gift from my mom and the nicest thing in my closest. The kicker was that they also had new, $600 inserts in them.

So now we are in Tokyo, and my toes are freezing. I'm trying to deal with the loss, which is sad but I will not let it affect the awesome time I'm going to have here. Hitoshi has 5 best friends that he has known since grade 5, and we are spending our first two nights with one of them, a man named Ash. He has a wife, a 4 year old daughter and a 1 year old son, both freaking adorable. And tomorrow my little bro comes for Canada. So with 9 days left till we head home, we have lots of fun things in store!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home