Saturday, February 12, 2011

Visiting a Panti Ashuan (Orphanage) in Bali



On February 12th I went to an orphanage here in Bali, and before I leave this beautiful country I would like to do something to help the kids. My goal is to raise enough money to pay the electricity bill at the orphanage for one year. The following is about my experience, and how you can help if you feel moved to do so.

I have experienced some restless energy since I got to Ubud, a need to Do Something. It was an undefined something, but this is a place where people are doing things, and I wanted to do things too. The Something became very clear when Risa mentioned she was going to visit an orphanage and asked if I wanted to come along.

Risa hired a lovely man named Wayan to drive us the three hours to an area called Jembrana. The orphange (a Panti Asuhan) was called Giri Asih, and on the drive I asked Risa how she had found out about this orphanage, and what made her want to go.

She told me that she has visited orphanages in other countries, and getting involved in helping orphans has been something she has wanted to do for a long time. A while ago, she saw a poster raising awareness about molested children in Bali. She called the number to ask for more information, and through various meetings came in contact with a doctor who oversaw several orphanages. He was unable to make it out to Giri Asih with us, but gave us directions and told us we were welcome to go there.

We picked up some rice, cooking oil and noodles, as we were advised by the doctor that this was something that they needed, and arrived at Giri Asih at about 1 pm. We were welcomed by the director, a name named Purwanto and all the children who came out and shook each of our hands. There were 25 kids in total, 7 girls and 18 boys.

There were four buildings on the property that I could see, three of them housing the children and one with an office, kitchen and lunch room. We went into the lunch room where they offered us some water, and then they showed us around their property.

The own about 2.2 acres of land that looked pretty wild, but there were coconut and papaya trees and apparently they are able to grow other fruit and vegetables as well. They had a pig and a few chickens and a cow that the kids help raise to sell.

The buildings were freshly painted and kids looked fairly healthy, it wasn't some tragic, ramshackle place. Their rooms were tidy, but they were sparse. I didn't see any toys or games. I guess I'm just used to kids having so much stuff, but these kids really have nothing.

The kids were all polite but shy, and since most didn't speak English I couldn't really communicate. One 15 year old boy named Wayan could communicate fairly well, and told me he studies English from books, since they don't learn much in school.



Giri Asih is run by a foundation that has one other orphanage, and both are almost completely funded by donation. Purwanto the director of Giri Asih has lived and worked at there for two years. The director before him was caught stealing money that was donated by the community, and although he was replaced it gave the orphanage a bad reputation and people have been less willing to donate.

The government recently started giving them money, $0.30 a day per child, which is about $9 a month. The Four Seasons hotel in Denpasar also pays for the kids to go to school, so they are able to attend with other kids in the village. They also get rice and clothing donated from the local people, and a doctor comes once a month to give them a check up.

They seemed to have the most basic necessities covered. We took the girls aside and asked them if the needed anything. We took two of them to the store and loaded them up with sanitary napkins, shampoo and lotion. It seemed like such a small thing, but it was something practical we could do right then.

When we got back, we asked Purawnto what the orphanage needs. He said they do have trouble paying bills, since they rarely get cash donations. To pay the last electricity bill, which was several months overdue, Purwanto had to sell one of their goats. He also told us they would like to raise more animals, and also plant more fruit trees.

After spending a little more time with the kids, we thanked them and headed back home. On the drive, we discussed for a long time what the best way to help would be. Buying them animals, fruit trees, art supplies, toys, so many ideas.

Risa is planning is in Bali indefinitely, and has time to focus on something, and the connections to make it happen. I wish I could stay here help start something, but our time in Bali is almost over and any kind of long term solution is going to take some planning. I am planning to go back at least once before we leave, and I'm hoping Hitoshi and I can have some fun building or creating something with them. But I would also like to leave them something that can help them after I leave.

So I have narrowed my focus, and here is where I ask for help. What I would like to do is pay their electricity bill, so at least one bill is off their shoulders. The bill is $75 a month, so $900 could cover it for the entire year.

I am going to collect money in my Pay Pal account, and then use that money to pay the electric company directly.If you are reading this and feel moved to donate money, log into Pay Pal and click send money. My email address is krisgossen@hotmail.com.

If you could re-post this, that would be amazing as well.

Thank you so much for reading this

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Heh you
Sounds like you have a great plan. Question for all us none tech people. How does one contribute to a paypal account? We would like to sign up for a month.
Love Linda and Dad

10:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

heh kristin
deposited some money, paypal was pretty easy to do. Apparently you just sign in and send it to your email account. which is of course for those that don't know
krisgossen@hotmail.com

6:07 PM  
Blogger Where'sWendy said...

Bunny I love this! You are so generous.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Where'sWendy said...

And also I wanted to tell you I love you and miss you lots! I missed you so much I ate a Kale salad for my Valentine's dinner. Not even joking.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Cathy said...

Dear Kris

I have lived in bali For 20 years so I speak the language and know the culture etc. DO NOT GIVE ANY MONEY TO PK PURWANTO AT GIRI ASIH! HE IS A LIAR.
GA gets govt funding and a hotel pays for all school fees. They have constant food drops from donators and assets in fish and livestock. There is enough money to pay the electricity bill. Purwanto works in Denpasar. The kids do all the manual work. Purwanto's wife is a nasty bitch who runs a catering company from GA. Honey please do not send them any money! I admire your intentions but you have been had!
Don't worry it happens to all newbies in Bali and your intentions are very honorable!
Love Cathy.

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home