Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Bula! Vi Naka! Fiji!

I arrived in Fiji in the afternoon, and got picked up by my hostel's shuttle. I stayed at Nomad's Aquarius, and I was so relieved when I walked in to see the ocean out the back. I had heard that sometimes you can be quite far from the ocean. When I walked over to check it out though, I realize why everyone says get out of Nadi. There was a beach, just out the back of the hostel past the the pool, but it wasnt nice at all. It was sand, but kind of dirty and you wouldn't want to swim in the ocean there. But there was the pool, and there were hammocks that you could lay in and look at the ocean and it was still really beautiful. And the sunsets were everything you could hope for! This guy rode his horse down the beach every night, and this little pony would follow after them, it looked like a postcard.

My hostel was in a group of hostels and hotels, about 5 minute drive out of the city. There weren't any stores or anything out where I was, you had to take a cab into town if you wanted anything. And there was no kitchen or anything, so you had to order all your food from the restaurant in the hostel, but it wasn't expensive and it was pretty good.

The first night I was there I met this really cute, sweet couple from England. Their names were Huw and Jemma (anther Jemma with a J!). They told me how they were going to check out the islands and showed me some of the brochures and stuff they had. Originally my plan had been to just stay at the hostel, but seeing the beaches on the island and how amazing they looked made me want to go check it out. I didn't want to be on a boat for any length of time, but Jemma and Huw's first stop was called Bounty Island and it was only 20 minutes on a boat. We had dinner that night, and they left the next morning to head out there. We decided to meet out there the following day, and I booked a day trip to the island.

The day they left was a pretty lazy day. I love tropical places, its the only place you are allowed to lay around and do absolutely nothing and feel like that is what you are supposed to be doing. I did go into town, to go to the grocery store. I shared a cab with this Irish girl I met, and we wandered around a bit. The people there are beyond friendly, but I can see as a woman by myself it could be a bit much when the guys all yell and stare at you. They ask you were you are from, and what is your name, and all that. Fiji is the most underdeveloped country I have ever been too, so it was new, but I wasn't shocked by it.

This one guy walked with us a few blocks, and then convinced us to come into his store. He said he wanted to do a welcome ceremony for us, since we had just arrived. We sat down on a mat on the floor. I could tell this girl I was with was freaked out, saying 'Get me out of here' under her breath, but I figured we were in a public place with people around and it seemed fine. We did this quick ceremony with their national drink called Kava that makes your mouth a little numb. It is made out of the root of a pepper plant. They said you have to drink the whole thing, which is poured into half a coconut shell. I just threw it back, it wasn't too bad, tasted (and looked) a bit like dirty water. When this girl took hers though, she started gagging. Then she threw down the cup and jumped up. I looked at the guy and he said they weren't finished yet, but we could stop. In the end these guys tried to scam us into buying these necklaces, putting them on us saying they were a gift, then asking for money right before we got out of the store. I kind of expected that, and gave it back, but the girl just threw money at them and ran out of the store.

I don't blame this girl for how she acted, obviously she was put off by the whole thing. It just seemed a shame that the only Fiji she wanted to experience was the hostel and the tourist spots. I guess that is what most people want out of these kinds of destinations, but I was glad even for the chance to talk to local people and try their drink and learn a bit about them. Not that I would have wanted to stay in town much longer, but really the people there are so generous and kind.

The next morning I caught a bus to the boat, and then headed out to Bounty Island for the day. Jamma and Huw were waiting there playing pool. Instantly I was so glad that I had made the decision to go out there. It was a stunning, white, perfect beach, and Jemma and Huw were awesome company. We laid on the beach, we snorkling, we ate a great lunch and hung out and chatted about our love of monkeys and turtles. We walked to the other side of the island and saw the remains of this English show called Celebrity Love Island that they had filmed there. We found a jellyfish washed up, and Jemma and Huw had been told the jellyfish around there didn't sting out. We were sure but we picked it up anyway for the photo opportunity. It felt so weird, and left this purple slim on me.

Then we went snorkling again, and Huw found a sea cucumber for me to play with. I had see tons of them, but never picked one up. I suggest it to anyone playing in the sea, they are pretty cool. Then we just stayed in the water. I realized that this would be my last time in the ocean (especially bath tempurature ocean) for a long long time and I felt so sad. In Sydney I was 30 seconds from the beach, and I didn't go every day. What was I thinking? This trip changed a lot of my feelings about being outside. I now love the sun, where before I would always hide in the shade. And not only am I ok wearing a bikini, but I am acutally posting a pic of me wearing on! *gasp* I just feel like I appreciate the outdoors and sun and warmth more now. As I am writing this from home, it is cloudy and rainy outside. But the rain will bring green things, and soon I will get my second summer this year, and I am going to enjoy every single second of it!

As we were sitting in the ocean, the boat came early and I had to race out and get changed. I guess it was like ripping of a band-aid, just leap out and get dressed and don't look back. Huw and Jemma stood on the beach waving goodbye, and that was the last real day of my vacation. The next day my flight wasn't until almost midnight, so I lazed around the hostel reading and listening to all 72 of my Bob Marley songs. When I finally got on the plane, I was definately more excited to come home than I was sad to leave. This trip was an astonishing, astounding, surprising, stunning, staggering, shocking, startling, stupefying, breathtaking, awesome, awe-inspiring, sensational, remarkable, spectacular, stupendous, phenomenal, extraordinary, incredible, unbelievable, informal mind-blowing, jaw- dropping, wondrous once in a life time trip, and I can't wait for the travellind adventures I will have in the future!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home